The holiday season is in full swing, and your wonderful gifts continue to keep spirits bright at the hospital. We recently received several questions about toy and gift donations, so we asked Justyna Griffin, our activity and donations coordinator, for more information.
For those of you looking to donate a toy or other gift, she offered up a few giving guidelines, including:
- Toy donations must be brand new, recently purchased and not wrapped.
- Large donations (more than 20 toys) need to be scheduled prior to delivery and boxed up.
- We cannot accept donations of used toys, clothing, food items or candy.
- Gift card donations to Target, Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com or Enabling Devices are encouraged instead of or in addition to toys.
- There aren’t any opportunities to distribute gifts directly to patients for health safety reasons.
- Please don’t include religious gifts, as our patients are from many different religious and spiritual backgrounds and we don’t want to single out any particular beliefs.
- Avoid items that depict violent themes.
- If you want to write a note, please avoid phrases like “Get well soon,” “I’m sorry you’re not well,” etc. The children and their families enjoy anything silly, uplifting or as simple as “Have a great day!”
If you’re looking for a few specific items to give, you can check out the full wish list. Justyna also gave us an additional list of gift ideas:
- Small Lego kits for all ages, Bionicles
- Gift cards to iTunes, Apple store, Amazon.com
- Nail polish
- Matchbox cars/Hotwheels
- Small figurines for boys – Spongebob, Spiderman, Superman, Toy Story
- Small figurines for girls – My Little Pony, Polly Pocket, The Littliest Pet Shop
- Card game decks – Uno, others
- Handheld games – 20Q, Yahtzee, others
- Small packs of Crayons (8-12pc)
- Small art or craft kits for all ages
- Jewelry or bead kits
- Small Etch-a-Sketch or DoodlePro
- Disposable cameras
Once you have your gift picked out, contact Justyna at email@example.com or 312.227.3938, and she will make arrangements for your delivery with hospital security. Any larger donation (more than 20 toys or couple of shopping bags) must come in through the receiving dock and be pre-scheduled.
Your toy donations help us all year long, so we really do appreciate any support you’re able to give us. If you have any other specific questions, please contact Justyana.