Fourth of July, the heart of summertime and one of the biggest American holiday celebrations. Whether a BBQ, pool party, or a day at the lake, more than likely a firework show will conclude the holiday celebration. But for some, a beautiful display can easily turn into an emergency room visit says Sally Reynolds, MD, Emergency Medicine Specialists at Lurie Children’s.
“The most common injuries we see from fireworks are burns to the face and hands. In some cases people have lost their entire hand,” said Reynolds. “Teenagers and young children should never be in possession of them. Sparklers can reach 1,800°F (982°C) — hot enough to melt gold. My advice is to attend public fireworks displays, and leave it to the professionals.”
For an accident-free celebration, follow these safety tips:
- Public fireworks shows are much safer than at home amateur displays
- Glow sticks are a much safer alternative than letting young children use sparklers
- Keep pets and infants away from loud fireworks displays as the noise can harm their hearing
- Be aware of surroundings when fireworks are being lit
- Always point them away from buildings and other people
- Keep water nearby when lighting fireworks in case a spark turns into a fire
- Avoid grassy and brush areas
There can never be enough precaution taken, especially on fun, busy holidays.
For more information visit: https://www.safekids.org/tip/fireworks-safety-tips.